Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bye Bye Sunscreen

We spent 14 hours in an airport. Let me repeat that...14 hours. I don't know if anyone knows what that's like, but I would not wish for them to know what its like. We left Krakow at 12 when we were officially kicked out of the hostel and we headed, fully pack animal-ed to the T with our luggage, to the train station where a man offered to drive us to the Katovice airport, over an hour away.

The luggage hardly fit in the back of the car and the poor man was not able to see out the back. So we drove through Krakow's villages and down the back roads since highways are nonexistent in Poland.

Upon arriving at the airport we realized that it was not a big terminal where we would be able to get lunch and relax and walk around. It was a tiny few airplane airport where food options were very limited, and space was hard to find. We ate lunch in their "restaurant" and I was served what Abby called "baby alien pods" because they were squishy, yellow, unidentifiable circular object smothered in gravy.

I don't know how else to describe the entire experience of Diana's dance party at 2 am. The bench notches permanently imprinted in my back, and yet another experience of being awake and traveling for almost 48 hours. When 4 am eventually rolled around we had to fight the hundreds of other travelers to be checked through the entire 2 open lanes of security. The man checking bags went through my purse and took out my sunscreen, it was 112 g when the limit was 110 g. He made me throw it away and sat there and watched as I did it.

Needless to say we did eventually arrive in Rome. We looked like zombies and probably smelled worse, but our part of the trip has finally arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment