Saturday, July 4, 2009

Friday During the Day





Full day of activities since it was our last day in Rome. We took the subway to the Vatican after people woke up (after 12) from their hard partying. We found a street vendor selling gorgeous dresses for cheap and while we were looking Diana went and found a toilet and threw up the remains of Thursday night's alcohol. We walked around St. Peters square and even though I have already been there I was again knocked out by how pretty it all was. Diana left us after a few minutes to go back to the apartment and sleep everything off .

The sun was beating down, it was ridiculously hot and humid, my fears from Germany and Poland about not having nice weather for the trip were put to rest and I can now wear the summer clothing I packed with me. It started to rain while we were standing there even though there was not a cloud in the sky and the sun was brilliant, it was a fantastic rain and cooled us all down. We got in line to see St. Peter's Basilica. Once in line I realized they had a dress code and worried about all of us in our skirts and tank tops. We made it through the first line of security without problems. Abby changed into the dress she bought in the middle of the line and threw hew shirt over her shoulders. I put Laura's new dress that she bought over my shoulders for the second round of security and made it threw. It wasn't until I was walking in that one of the guards came over and told me I was not permitted in because my skirt did not reach my knees.

Everyone else went inside the church (which is beautiful and I'm mad I wasn't allowed it) and I stood outside like a prostitute not permitted in the rich church. After about half an hour they came back out and we got a slice of pizza. We hit up a castle that I have a picture of as well as the Piazza Navona on the way back. The heat was incredible but we walked the entire city to get back to our apartment.

I feel like no matter how many times I shower or use wipes to give myself a mini shower I am never clean. The heat and humidity immediately makes you greasy and sweaty and forever feeling grungy.

We bought groceries and made dinner at the apartment and had movie night watching Vicky Christina Barcelona, which was fantastic, we had a lot of fun and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment