Friday, June 26, 2009

I can't upload pics here. I will later


I like the feeling of riding in a train. How it doesn’t seem so modern, just the gentle methodical rolling along through the countryside. There are no long lines at customs, no bag check in or weighing stations, and no stewardesses yelling at you to sit down and buckle your seatbelt. It’s more peaceful, it’s calm. I like sitting here on the train to Warsaw and watching the strange forests fly by.

The 7 of us ran through the train station at Berlin to catch the train, we don’t think the other 12, the GLC leaders made it. It’s almost a romantic thought, flying through the German countryside on green couch cushions in little compartments fitting 6 people each.

We got to the Oki Doki Hostel by Taxi because my first impression of Poland is that it’s ridiculously crowded and difficult to navigate.

It’s easy to see that we are not in Germany any more. In the words of one of my teammates “Welcome to the former Soviet Union”, nothing is as developed or as pretty as Germany. I feel like we’ve gone a few years in the past. Pulling into the train station I saw farmers in the field and it struck me that there wasn’t any modern machinery. Men were in the fields staking fruit trees by hammering branches into the ground manually. It’s a wake up call to the way we function in the United States.

The hostel is a massive building where I can’t even begin to count the number of rooms they have. It took about 5 flights of steps to make it to the main desk, and we puffed up them dragging our luggage up behind us. It’s a big crazy and very loud looking with bright orange and crazy colors everywhere. I am situated in the “Danish room” which means there is basically no decoration, just brown blankets and 4 wall hangings.

No comments:

Post a Comment