Saturday, August 1, 2009

City of Gaudi






I've never been a person of God. I've had too many years in Catholic school to believe in the things that have been pounded into my head over the years. Notre Dame was beautiful but I have never seen anything like Gaudi's Segrada Familia in my entire life. I can't describe walking up to it or seeing it for the first time. It is massive. It is a structure that can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. It is amazing. I am not a church goer or god believer and I was touched.

We stood outside and I think I just gaped at the architecture. Laura and I were the only ones who wanted to go inside since we had to pay, but to me the entrance fee, which goes toward the buildings completion, was well worth it. The pillars and angles Gaudi used are different than anything I've ever seen before. The roof where the pillars meet are in sunflower designs and mosiacs. The stained glass, in my opinion, rivaled that of Notre Dame and ceated bursts of colors which dyed the stone and cement inside the church. The entire center section was off limits due to construction. Their goal is to have it completed at the end of this year though I doubt that will happen. Laura and I paid the 2 Euro to take the elevator to the roof, and I swear it was the best 2 Euro I spent my entire time in Europe. We could see all of Barcelona and the ocean in the not so far distance. As we made out way down the spiral stairs we saw different aspects of the building and designs you couldn't see from below. It took over 15 minutes just to walk down the stairs since the building is so high. Only 4 of the pillars on the roof are completed so far, they represent the evangilists. 12 more are on their way to construction, for the apostles, and they are going to be even taller than the existing pillars.

After we got out we headed to some souvenier shops where I got a mug and a Gaudi cup for my mom. We hit the metro and made our way to Parc Guell, Gaudi's park. It was a straight uphill climb in Barcelona heat but it was, of course, worth it. We got to see another view of Barcelona as well as the collage seats, Gaudi's lizards and other famous aspects of the park.

After the park we went and got lunch and walked down the main strip in Barcelona toward the famous outdoor market where every kind of fruit, vegetable, meat, and sea food imaginable was being sold in massive quantity. If I lived in Barcelona that would be the only place I would ever shop ever again. People pureed pure fruit and sold it as juice, it was fantastic.

We finally headed back toward the water and sat down for a while since we were tired after walking the entire city of Barcelona in one day. Once we reached our room we got dressed to go out to dinner. We ate at a restaurant that was not that great but we had some good Sangria.

Best day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment